Sunday, July 29, 2007

Consideration

Recovery is an interesting word to describe the healing process. No matter what you are recovering from you are generally never recovered. I had a friend call me today. He said in a chipper voice, "So how are you today?". I told him I was recovering. He had not idea how to respond. I should have said, "fine". The socially acceptable answer to how are you, but the truth is that my grandmother died and right after the funeral I became very ill, so I wasn't fine. I'm not going to be fine for a while, and the first people who should know that are the people who came to the funeral.

the process of recovery is a constant spectrum of good days and bad for those recovering. I have been recovering most of my life as I am too a survivor of childhood sexual abuse. Most of the time i say the word 'fine' as I've been culturally trained to do so, but I must admit a certain distaste for the word over the last two weeks.

....see you in 30.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

There were many days after my father's death that I wanted to look at something and say "shitty", and not fine, or alright... to tell them life sucked and I needed hug. But for some reason it just doesn't seem to work that way, huh? I gave up trying, fine it is.